Most people hear the word maintenance and see the dollar signs that tend to accompany them. However, the good news is maintenance actually saves you money in the long run and can prevent other issues with your HVAC appliances. Here we will talk about just how HVAC maintenance can save you money and what you can do to keep that going.
Your HVAC is an important utility in your residential and commercial property. The average home spends about $2,300 per year on utility costs. While that may fluctuate over the seasons, roughly half of those costs come from your energy heating and cooling appliances. Your HVAC system, which includes your heat, ventilation, and air conditioning units, is key to regulating healthy, comfortable, and safe air flow and quality. There is a maintenance checklist that you can use to simplify your routines. Here is a breakdown of what you can expect from daily, monthly, and yearly upkeep:
- For indoor and outdoor HVAC units, make sure to keep the area around it free from items and debris like buckets and mops, blankets, leaves and pollen, and other dirt and grime that could clog or inhibit the system from working properly.
- You can always check your filter and purchase a high efficiency air filter to keep the system running smoothly, with minimal risk of issues or hazard.
- There should always be at least 2 to 3 feet of space between your HVAC unit and anything surrounding it. You always want space around it to ensure fresh air can go in and no other items or debris gets stuck.
- Check on your HVAC filter for replacement and mechanical system every 90 days.
- It is important to take care of your HVAC and perform routine maintenance on them seasonally. For summer, you can shut off the water flow to your furnace humidifier. In the fall, you can replace that same furnace humidifier and turn the water back on.
- You or a trusted professional can assess the lines to your refrigerant and determine whether you need a monthly replacement for effective HVAC function.
- Check your soil levels and the firmness in the foundation of your HVAC unit in order to prevent any future needed repairs or reconstruction of the entire unit and surrounding ground.
- The air conditioning system has a condensation drainage pipeline that needs to be maintained through chemical cleaning. Most use a mixture of water and bleach to clean, deodorize, and disinfect the drain.
- Carbon monoxide detectors are essential to keeping you and your family safe. Check the batteries to replace as needed and evaluate its function to ensure it operates properly.
The daily checklist above could save you potentially 20% of your average energy costs by reducing unnecessary energy, keeping the HVAC unit free and clear of any foreign materials, and replacing your current filter with a high efficiency filter for optimum energy input and output. The monthly checklist can save almost $100 off your annual energy billing by turning off water flow and energy usage seasonally when it is not in use and keeping the refrigerant lines clean and clear. Your yearly energy bill can be reduced by up to 30% by maintaining and identifying when replacements are needed. As you continue to keep your HVAC unit in great working condition, you can rest assured that A Superior Air Conditioning Company is here to help you learn more about what your home ventilation system needs. There will be times your HVAC needs a professional assessment and potential repairs and A Superior Air Conditioning Company will be there to make sure the job is done the right way!
To learn more about HVAC maintenance or to get a Free Quote, give us a call (850) 258-3225 or request service online!